Donald Trump is President, and the latest poll shows that 36% of Americans are happy about that. I don’t know about the rest of the 64%, but I’m really not pleased that the election was taken from Hillary Clinton, in three separate ways.
Two of the three ways that Trump unfairly won the election were due to his own actions. The third was when the head of the FBI, James Comey, announced – just a few days before the election – that he had found new evidence about Clinton’s email case, and that it might be something negative. Clinton’s numbers, which had been going up as the election got closer, did an about-face and fell. Instead of being ahead of Trump by about 4%, she dropped to being ahead by only about 1 or 2% and was still losing altitude.
But back to Trump’s blatant, nasty lies. They started with the whole “birther” movement, a denial of Barack Obama’s US citizenship that Trump pushed starting in 2011. This movement, based on a racist lie that Obama proved wrong by releasing the long-form of his birth certificate in that same year, endeared Trump to the millions of people (described above) who hated Obama and desperately wanted an “anti-Obama” to replace him. Trump’s popularity with this conservative, under-educated “base” traces back to this nasty lie about Obama – Trump’s original sin, as it were.
But what if it turns out that the Donald Trump and his minions are proven to have colluded with the Russians in the election? Those are extremely serious crimes and could (should) result in Trump’s impeachment, along with possible prison time. Additionally, that would strengthen the case that Clinton was indeed the one who should have been elected – not Trump. The fair thing to do, the thing that represents the will of the majority, would be to let her assume the presidency to which she is clearly entitled, not Pence or any of the rest of Trump’s administration. I’m afraid that is extremely unlikely, however, even if Trump is thrown out for cheating in the election.
That would give Trump and the Republicans the chance to name one or two more conservative Justices to the Court, which would change the laws of the land and the way society operates in significant ways for many years to come. This can’t be emphasized too much: Instead of the moderate liberals that Clinton and the majority of Americans want according to a fair election, we’ll have years or decades of laws determined by conservatives that were put in place because of a stolen election. This is huge; a huge win for the right, for Bannon; likely a big loss of personal liberties, and unfair rulings for the rest of us, the majority. For years to come, regardless of who’s in the White House down the road. But there’s more.